Conducting Public Hearings | Submissions are now closed.
Inquiry into the Rental and Housing Affordability Crisis in Victoria
That the Legal and Social Issues Committee inquire into, consider and report by 17th November 2023 on the challenges facing Victorian renters and factors causing the rental and housing affordability crisis in Victoria, including but not limited to:
- The factors leading to low availability and high costs of rental properties;
- Options to address insecurity, availability and affordability issues facing Victorian renters;
- The adequacy of regulation with regards to standards and conditions of rental housing;
- The adequacy of the rental system and its enforcement;
- The impact of short-stay accommodation;
- Barriers to first home ownership and the impact this has on rental stock;
- The experience of, and impacts of all of the above on, renters and property owners;
- Any other related matters.
Regional Victoria feeling housing shortage pressure
Economy | 16 August 2023
Regional and rural Victoria will need 87,400 new dwellings over the next 15 years, according to evidence given to the Legislative Council Legal and Social Issues Committee.
Seeking solutions on rental and housing affordability
Economy | 9 June 2023
The Legal and Social Issues Committee is inquiring into rental and housing affordability in Victoria, with a view to identifying the factors contributing to the low availability and high costs of rental properties.
Public hearing recap
The Committee has received evidence from a variety of stakeholders. Watch the videos to get a recap of some of the Inquiry's public hearings.