Department of the Legislative Assembly
We support the work of the Speaker, Legislative Assembly and committees. We also provide community engagement services.
On this page
The Clerk’s Office is responsible for the general management of the Legislative Assembly, including:
- day-to-day operations of the department, including finance and staffing
- policy, procedural and corporate requirements of the Legislative Assembly
- arrangements for visiting delegations.
The Clerk of the Legislative Assembly has an additional role as Clerk of the Parliaments. The Clerk of the Parliaments’ duties involve:
- presenting bills to the Governor for royal assent
- maintaining the Members of Parliament Register of Interests
- coordinating Parliament’s twinning program with Fiji, Tuvalu and Nauru.
The Procedure Office is responsible for:
- responding to queries about the Assembly’s activities from members of the media, government departments and the public
- publication and distribution of house documents
- tabling of reports and documents
- administrative and research support for the Chamber and department.
The Committees Office is responsible for:
- the Assembly’s standing and select committees, as well as relevant joint investigatory committees
- administrative, procedural and research support for committees
- funding allocation and authorisation of committee spending.
The Serjeant-at-Arms Office is responsible for:
- approval of functions and events in Parliament House
- accommodation within Parliament House and the members’ annex
- former member support
- media accreditation.
Tours and Customer Service Unit
The Tours and Customer Service Unit is responsible for:
- public tours, school tours and online programs
- visitor registration and management at the Parliament reception desk
- Chamber support on sitting days
- mail and printing services.
Community Engagement and Education Unit
The Community Engagement and Education Unit coordinates the delivery of community engagement activities and is supported by staff from across the parliamentary departments.
Learn more about the Department's work
Find out what is happening in Parliament today, documents about sittings and access transcripts of debates.