Inquiry into the Multi Purpose Taxi Program (MPTP)
Awaiting Government Response | The government has six months to respond from the report tabling date.
The inquiry focused on the safety standards for members of the public that travel on the Multi Purpose Taxi Program. It paid particular attention to the needs of vulnerable community members, including people with disability.
On 18 February 2021, the Legislative Council agreed to the following motion:
That this House requires the Economy and Infrastructure Committee to inquire into, consider and report, by no later than Friday, 18 February 2022, on the safety standards for members of the public that travel on the Multi Purpose Taxi Program (MPTP), including but not limited to —
(1) a review of the minimum safety requirements for vehicles operating within the MPTP scheme;
(2) the consideration of a mandatory maximum fare rate across all MPTP work;
(3) an examination of how of rorting and exploitation of vulnerable users will be prevented;
(4) an assessment of the financial impacts to services within the broader disability sector and how this will be managed;
(5) an examination of pathways for the industry to absorb major change post-COVID-19;
(6) ensuring proper probity and good governance are applied following careful consideration and reporting of all possible ramifications of consultations with both industry and disability stakeholders; and
(7) an assessment of the impact of the expansion on MPTP clients, taking into account feedback on the expansion from Victorians living with disability and the disability sector.