Accepting submissions | The Committee is accepting submissions until 8 December 2023.
Inquiry into workplace drug testing in Victoria
On 30 August 2023, the Legislative Council agreed to the following motion:
That this House requires the Legal and Social Issues Committee to inquire into, consider and report, by 30 June 2024, on —
(1) the legislative and regulatory framework for workplace drug testing;
(2) the treatment of prescription medicinal cannabis as compared to other prescription medications, under that workplace drug testing framework;
(3) whether the framework for occupational health and safety and workplace drug testing may be improved to benefit medicinal cannabis patients, ensuring due process and natural justice in workplace settings, balanced against risks to occupational health and safety;
(4) whether current workplace drug testing laws and procedures are discriminatory in nature and could be addressed by the addition of a further protected attribute such as ‘medication or medical treatment’, in Victoria’s anti-discrimination laws;
(5) any other relevant matters; and
(6) directs the Committee, in undertaking this inquiry, to limit its consideration to workplace drug testing and not consider the broader subject of roadside drug testing and reform of the Road Safety Act 1986.